Trials are not enemies of faith but are opportunities to prove
God's faithfulness. -- Author Unknown

God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one
to say 'thank you?' -- William A. Ward

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Book Review: Three Cups of Tea


I'm not quite sure how I ended up with this book. I think it caught my attention at Target. It has been sitting on my bookshelf for quite a while. I finally decided to dive in and could not put it down.
This is the story of Greg Mortenson and the schools that he has built in Pakistan. It is an amazing story the impact 1 person can have on so many people.
He has spoken in front of Congress, been to the Pentagon, met Donald Rumsfeld. He was in a unique place on September 11, 2001. He was in northern Pakistan. He heard of the tragedy when one of his Pakistani friends woke him up to tell him. He was virtually in Taliban territory. After that day, he pushed harder to help build more schools to educate more rural children. Eventually his efforts moved into Afghanistan. At one point in the story, he is held hostage in Pakistan for several days. During his captivity, his wife is getting ready to welcome their first child into the world.
I must say that what this man has done is amazing. He started with nothing. He was trying to finance building a school by working as a nurse. It is wonderful to hear how he met people throughout his life that became so intense about his cause.
55 schools (which were mainly aimed at educating girls), many women's vocation centers, bridges, and drinking water projects.
Greg Mortenson has made an impact on the world. David Oliver Relin has done a wonderful job of telling the story.
I'm going to have to read this book anytime I'm discouraged. When I feel like the entire world is only out for itself and not willing to help the less willing.
(I'll probably edit this later, but we have to run to a therapy appointment.)

1 comment:

Kristi W. said...

Congrats on the new court date! I'm happy to hear this week wasn't the last week before the holidays. :)

Three Cups of Tea has been on my "to read" list for a while. I haven't gotten to it yet, but am so glad to hear you enjoyed it. Maybe I'll have to bump that up higher on my list now so I get to it sooner.

Prayers are going UP for Sept. 22!!!