Trials are not enemies of faith but are opportunities to prove
God's faithfulness. -- Author Unknown

God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one
to say 'thank you?' -- William A. Ward

Thursday, September 24, 2009

How Do You Define Yourself?

When someone asks me what I do, they probably get a very long answer.
Yeah, I'm a nurse. Any more the main reason for that is so that I can talk to doctors about my children. It's come in handy. I go to work to support my family. I don't get an opportunity to go to church because of the days that I work. I work my days so that I can say home with my kids. It's where I need to be. It's where I love to be. Going to work reinforces my need to be at home.
I also tell people that I stay home with my kids. I'm not a nurse. I'm a wife, a mother, and a homemaker. Those are my favorite. I homeschool because I love having the kids with me. I love being able to teach my kids (right now just Anthony) how to cook and bake. I'm looking forward to all the other lessons I can teach throughout the years.
I'm a homemaker. That doesn't mean that I clean my house. I try to but little people keep eating, wearing clothes, tracking dirt, and playing. That means I have to clean again. It's gotten better since Flylady, but we are still working on it. I found an article today on the website Ordinary Time . I just love what the author says about homemaking.
"And I do more than just clean and wipe noses. I have many gifts and talents that I make use of during my days and weeks. Women who fall into the "just a mother" trap don't seem to realize that they can exercise their gifts and talents as a compliment to being a mother. Just look at the woman described in Proverbs 31, it makes me tired just to read about all she accomplished. But I think one reason some women find it difficult to suddenly being at home is that no one has ever trained or taught them to be at home. These women go from full-time jobs, where much of their time is prescribed for them, many with a boss to whom they must answer, and a set job description... to being in a place where none of this exists. As a homemaker, I am responsible for organizing my days, deciding what must be done, what my budget is, and determining if I am doing a good job. If I want contact with other people, I must arrange it; there is no ready-made group of people to socialize with. I must be OK with being alone at least some of the time. (As well as never really being alone, given the many small people....) It is a totally different lifestyle and we act as if women automatically know how to make it work."
I wasn't raised like this. My mother still doesn't understand why I don't just send my kids to school and work more. We could buy more stuff. I hate stuff. It robs me of joy. It robs me of the gift of being able to give to others. Its selfish and unnecessary for the most part. I wish I knew how to make jelly, pickles, and beets (oh how I love canned beets). I wish I knew how to "put stuff up". I can freeze stuff with the best of them. I have never canned though. I unfortunately didn't get around to it this year. Maybe next year.
I love the part where she talks about not having ready-made socialization. It answers a quesion for me. How do adults socialize? If you own your own business and don't live near family, who do you socialize with? What if your coworkers are nothing like you or don't share your values? How do you find friends as a adult? By homeschooling, I hope I'm teaching my children this skill. They will hopefully learn to live in a world where they seek others like them. They will find friends who have their values. Its important.
So I ask. How do you define yourself? What is your answer to the question "What do you do?" Do you admit to worshipping the One True God? Do you confess to being a wife? Are your children part of your identity?

No comments: